Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 04:08:20 -0800
From: Dallas Jensen < >

1976 GMC Eleganza II for sale. Runs good and gets good mileage because of some modifications listed below.

The final drive is one that lets the engine run at a higher RPM and it stays in high gear on all but the steepest inclines. The engine driven fan has been removed and two electric fans installed, they come on only at low speeds and on very steep grades. The air dam installed under the front bumper reduces pressure in the engine compartment; all air that goes through the grill is ducted through the radiator. Engine compartment vents have been added fore & aft of the front wheels and the plastic fender liners between the engine and the wheel have been cut out. Heat shields are installed to duct the hot air from the exhaust headers down and under the coach. The carburetor air cleaner is insulated and an insulated duct brings ram-air to the carburetor, the air just before it goes down the throat of the carburetor is at ambient temperature and at positive pressure most of the time at highway speeds on level land. The air going into the dash vent is cool ram air I have added two floor ram air vents in the front of the coach, this does a better job of cooling the coach so it no longer has the in-effective air conditioning. The engine driven fuel pump is removed and two electric pumps installed, one for each tank a selector switch will select one or the other, both on or both off. An oil pressure switch turns them off when the engine stops running; a push button switch has to be held in to turn them on when starting the engine. When I bought the GMC it had been used and abused with about 100.000 miles on the speedometer. I completely rebuilt the suspension, front and rear. All four of the front wheel bearings were OK but the hubs and knuckles had to be rebuilt to fit the bearings, I then corrected the alignment. I have put about 300,000 miles on it with no problems with alignment; the engine was rebuilt and has about 100,000 miles on it with no problems. I did have a problem with the ignition switch while in my travels. I checked it out at a camp ground and found the mechanical linkage from the key to the switch to be badly worn from lack of lubrication. I could think of no way to repair the linkage while at the camp ground so I brought the control rod out from under the dash and up on the left side of the steering column so that I could turn the switch on manually. I then had to defeat the steering wheel lock, I also disassembled the switch and found it to be very dirty, I cleaned it and lubricated it with the same grease that I use on the wheel bearings and every thing that needs to be lubricated. Now I have no problem starting the engine, with out the key. The grease I use is Lubriplate 930-AA. In my experiences I have found it to be better than any other grease. After I had the hubs & knuckles rebuilt I packed them by hand and went 100,000 miles before I checked them, they looked good so I put a little more grease on them and then went another 100,000 miles. I have installed bearing temperature sensors in the knuckles so I will know if they need attention. The bottom picture shows my remote controlled back up light with a video camera mounted on it, I can point it down and see how close the tear bumper is to something, the viewer is mounted just above the rear view mirror, the viewer reverses the image so that it matches what I see in the rear view mirror. The instrument panel has been modified and the coach needs refinishing inside and outside. It is in a shed near Delmar, MD. If you are interested in it for $10,000. You can send a message to my e-mail address I have cancelled the insurance and registration on it. I will be glad to show it to you.

Back to Directory